Massage therapy is the manipulation of soft tissues of the body including muscles, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments and joints. Massage therapy is a clinically-oriented healthcare option that helps alleviate the discomfort associated with everyday occupational stresses, muscular overuse and many other chronic pain conditions.
How You Will Benefit:
- Increased circulation and blood flow
- Stress relief, relaxation and improved sleep
- Sports injury prevention
- Treatment of soft tissue sprains and injuries
- Relief of muscular aches and joint pain
- Release of chronic tension in the body
- Decrease in headaches and TMJ dysfunction related symptoms
When most people think of massage they associate it with the relaxation benefits it provides. Massage in general has been proven to decrease stimulation to areas of the sympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for increased blood pressure, heart rate, and general stress responses. When this system is suppressed using massage, muscles relax, blood circulates more easily, pain is reduced and body awareness kicks in. The client can feel an increased sense of connection to their body, which can increase feelings of wellbeing and relaxation. Techniques are applied in slow, long motions, with extra time to the shoulders, hips or neck, areas that are commonly more affected by stress.
Therapeutic or Deep Tissue Massage:
- Therapeutic massage is an effective way to treat specific musculoskeletal concerns that may be inhibiting you from living your best life. Therapeutic massage goes below superficial connective tissue with the intent of breaking up old structural patterns, assisting the body to metabolize metabolic waste, such as lactic acid. Therapeutic or Deep Tissue massage requires therapists to apply a deeper amount of pressure which may cause discomfort. Levels of pressure will vary with each individual and we encourage both our clients and therapists to remain in constant communication during the massage to ensure your expectations of pressure are being addressed.
- A therapeutic or deep tissue massage can help to restore function, reduce pain, and improve mental well-being, all of which will increase your overall quality of life. Therapeutic or Deep Tissue Massage can be used to treat a wide range of conditions.
- Conditions include: carpal tunnel syndrome, headaches, muscle spasms, back/hip pain, sciatica, numbness, tingling, strains, sprains, respiratory conditions, pre- and postnatal pregnancy pain, sports injuries, and more.
Motor Vehicle Accident and Massage:
- Being in a Motor Vehicle Accident can be a traumatic experience that can create negative consequences in the future as a result. By seeking treatment early on, you can limit the onset of pain from whiplash or other sprains and strains.
- If you are in a motor vehicle accident (MVA), you should immediately visit your Chiropractor or Physiotherapist for an assessment. They will assess and document your condition which will serve as a baseline for your care and as evidence of your situation if you proceed to court. Based on your assessment, you will be able to access 10 or 21 treatments.
- Therapists and insurance companies do not have the right to determine what treatments you access, YOU do, so it is important to voice which services you would like to access.
- Massage can be used to restore balance to your autonomic nervous system by reversing the effects of the shock and trauma as a result of the motor vehicle accident. Massage also promotes circulation of both blood and lymph which helps to manage the swelling that usually comes with motor vehicle accident injuries. Treatment intervention early on can help prevent the formation of scar tissue and other Myofascial adhesions. Finally, specific musculoskeletal injuries such as whiplash, neck pain, back pain, headaches, shoulder sprains/strains, can be addressed.
- Treatment Protocol
The goals of massage therapy injury recovery are to:
– Reduce stress
– Reduce pain and swelling
– Increase circulation
– Increase range of motion (ROM)
– Speed up the recovery process
– Prevent further musculoskeletal imbalances
- Prenatal massage is beneficial throughout all stages of pregnancy, including the first trimester as well as postpartum.
- Benefits of Prenatal Massage include:
– Reduced joint and back pain
– Improved circulation
– Reduced edema, muscle tension and headaches
– Reduced stress, anxiety and promotes better sleep
- However, pregnancy and fertility just is not our forte and we have partnered with another amazing clinic that provides treatments specifically to pregnant individuals or people who are trying. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out or check out Monica Patt Acupuncture.